Saturday 31 October 2015

ALEXANDER MCQUEEN- SAVAGE BEAUTY




Mcqueen. A man with no limits. 02.08.15 I attended the last day of Alexander Mcqueen’s Savage beauty exhibition at the V&A. Prior to my visit, I wasn’t sure what to expect as many exhibitions I had been to were similar in the way they are exhibited. However once I entered, I was in awe of the intelligence of the work of McQueen.
Originally, I wasn’t particularly interested in the tailoring side of his work as that style didn’t appeal to me, but the appreciation I began to accumulate after speculating his work really did change my view for tailoring, as it is an important part of fashion, and I began to appreciate that more and more as I took a few steps into the visual representation of how his mind worked.
Whilst walking through the mind of a genius, I found myself going through a range of emotions as I absorbed his bold quotes printed on the walls next to his work. A lot of his work was gothic and dark, but as he himself mentioned, it was all created in a romantic way and I myself could see that throughout all of his designs.
A lot to take in. Walking in to the ‘dark room’ (not too sure what it was called) physically took my breath away. I remember walking in, looking up, and seeing hundreds of his pieces all carefully placed in glass boxes. Almost like a giant glass wall cabinet you have at home. But better. It was metres high of shoes, head pieces, dresses, coats, everything I could dream of all in one room. Each piece in the glass was accompanied by a television show casing his fashion shows over the years around the world, with iconic models wearing pieces I was standing inches from. The colours, the patterns, the masks, the music, the voices, the whole experience in this room was indescribable.
Grotesque? Inappropriate?
Nudity was definitely something McQueen wasn’t shy of, but it never felt crude or uncomfortable. If anything it made me want to get involved, get me kit off! He simply appreciated the sculpture of a woman. Each curve, impurity, imperfection, he wanted to expose it all. Never for the wrong reasons, and it never felt wrong, everything he created made sense.
Atmospheric.
One thing in particular that got me was the Kate Moss hologram. Never have I seen a hologram, and trust me, if I cross paths with one again it has a lot to live up to. I was lucky enough to get a front row view of the hologram and the silence in the room added to the magnificence. Despite children being present, there was not one moan, cry, cough or sneeze. It was pure bliss. Silence. The fluidity and eeriness of the hologram felt cleansing, it was really something special.
On exit, I was going through a cocktail of emotions. The whole exhibit was enlightening. However, I felt sorrow, I’m not sure what towards, but the whole short journey through his mind opened up mine. I felt empowered. I definitely took on board many of his intelligent words and I am definitely inspired. As a young person especially, it really did touch me. Made me see life in a different perspective. A life without social media and the little things I worry about, but the appreciation for raw beauty, true beauty, savage beauty.
‘I think there is beauty in everything. What ‘normal’ people would perceive as ugly, I can usually see something of beauty in it’ -Alexander McQueen


~Krystal Rose~

0 comments:

Post a Comment